Saturday, August 26, 2006

Tales from a hopeless dentist case

August 25th

One fine day in 2005 I decided to go to the dentist in order to take care of an unbearable tooth pain. What I didn't know is that I would meet Dr. Buck twice a week for the next two months.

When he looked at my teeth, everything was perfect! But then the Xray came in and he found considerable cavities in between my teeth. Note here: everybody should FLOSS! I had the most painful root canal treatments and suffered from terrible headaches. It was awful and costed my parents quite a lot of "doobies"!!

Now that i'm in Korea, of course, I had to be in pain again. Wisdom tooth this time, so I went to the dentist this morning. He seemed so happy to speak English while his secretaries were talking about me behind my back.

One thing I don't understand though is why they feel the need to whisper!!! I don't understand a single word of what they're saying so they could just pretend to have a nomal conversation and I wouldn't notice anything! Instead, they put their hands in front of their mouths and turn all red when I look. Come on!

Anyway, the dentist said that he'll extract the tooth but I must take some medicine before, just to prevent infection and to kill the pain. He took an Xray and talked to me for 30 minutes. How much did it cost?! 5 dollars! And the medicine? 2.50$!!

As for the rest, I was quite impressed with their technology! Usually in Occident they take the Xray and then show it to you on a kinda trnasparent sheet. But here, there's the hygienist lady that's dragging her feet to the room, chewing gum and looking for a place to put the laptop on which you can actually see your entire mouth! How great is that?! 5 bucks, really?!

Extracting a wisdom tooth is covered by medical insurance. Taking care of a cavity is too, unless I want good stuff that'll last - then it's a undred bucks. As for crowns, they were 700$ in Montreal, they're 450$ here, but I heard you can get them for 200.

I also gota have an old filling replaced cause it's degrading itself and that could damage my tooth.

I don't know how much of this is true, but I had to share this wonderful experience! And some of you might have to go to a dentist so let me know if you need any references. A lot of things are covered by medical insurance too so you should be aware of that.