Monday, September 04, 2006

The King and the clown... in Insadong!

September 4th

Has anyone ever seen "The King and the clown" (Wang-ui namja)? It's a relatively new Korean movie and I actually really liked it.

It's about two clowns living in the Chosun Dynasty and they get arrested for making fun of the King. But then they are given a chance to be free if they can make the King laugh. The rest of the story I won't tell, but it is both very funny and tragic. I cried at the end.

Anyway, my point is that in the movie, of course, we see traditional Korean costumes, masks, custums, etc. Ironically enough, I saw a skit of the same epoch last Sunday in Insadong!

They had a Korean guy act drunk on the public place while a procession was taking place. The guy had an argument with some of the soldiers (??) and they put him in jail. Then they carried on, carrying the guy behind the wooden bars. It was fun.




I met Erika there because she wanted to buy a guitar and she needed my help (i'm getting really good at those barred chords now! YHou'll be impressed Dave!) It was my first time in that neighborhood but i'm definitely going back! The streets are closed on Sunday afternoon and you have artists exposing along with small shops. You can find anything there, especially art stuff but also buddhist objects and many other things. Restaurants in small alleys are the best!

Apparently the people were much nicer a couple of years ago though. Now it's quite touristic. I tried to bargain something and the lady said "Sorry, not China"

I didn't get it at first, but then I realized how rude she had been!!! She meant that you may be able to bargain in China because it's such a poor country dying for money but that SHE is living in Korea, this great and advanced country and SHE doesn't care about you. She's gonna sell her stuff and if you can't pay, too bad for you.

Sorry i'm still worked up but... man did it bother me! Then I wondered if it's because I think that we shouldn' bargain things anyway? Or because I don't like people acting all superior? Arrrrg whatever!!

Today at school I had a blast! My kids are just LOVELY! And, unlike my previous advanced level classes, these kids love to talk and discuss current issues! I was told that Billy, one of my kid, is a trouble boy that made most kids' parents want to take them out of his class but as it turns out, he's just adorable.

And I have the funniest story that came from one of them.

Me: "What do you want to be when you're older?"
Him: "I want to be a doctor!"
Me: "Wow! Why?"
Him: "It's a secret. I can't say"
Me: "Oh come on!!"
Him: "Well... I want to give my parents Botox!"

This actually says a lot about how most Koreans put a lot of emphasis on their body and looks.

And today again, he made me laugh so hard. One girl in class was actually really slown and she didn't pay attention so as a joke I said "Wake up!!" Well the same boy said "her brain is like... uh..." then pointing at my necklace and bracelet he said "her brain is an accessory!!!"

He is 10 years old!!!!! Of course I couldn't laugh outloud and I had to lecture him on being nice to other but he is just incredible!!