Sunday, December 10, 2006

The politics of Korean church

From my 15th floor window I can see part of Seoul and, at night, there’s countless crosses illuminating the city. For those of you who are not aware of this, Christian religion is quite prevalent in Korea.

What amazes me the most though is how everything seems to happen at Church!

You make new friends, you meet your boyfriend, you find a job, and you meet music stars. It’s pretty impressive. Is it like that back home? I guess I had never realized how powerful religion can be!

And so on this beautiful (and sunny) Sunday morning, I got up at 9am and met Rachelle for an hour and a half subway ride to Yangjae. Yup, I was going to Church in Korea!

When I was a kid my parents would take us there on Sunday and I didn’t really like it; sit down, kneel down, sit down, stand up, sit down… I did not really get it. To be sure, I enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere, but I wanted to play!

Moreover, I have this weird thing where as soon as I walk into a church, I all of a sudden feel incredibly tired and my whole body hurts. Especially my back. Anyway.

I hadn’t been to church in quite a while but my Korean friend was a guest speaker and it was really important for her so I went.

I found myself in a big auditorium filled with both Koreans and foreigners, and there was a band playing contemporary Christian songs. The real deal: guitar, back-up singers, bass player, drums and keyboards.


While it was entertaining, I couldn’t get into the whole religious mood. And that’s ok. I’m not in that place but the people around me were and they seemed pretty happy.

Chris gave her speech and she was crying like a baby when she saw me! Thanks to her, and in line with the whole “politics of church” spirit, I got to meet a lot of people that she and Rachelle introduced me to.

Greatest surprise of all, I bumped into Alice, a really good friend I hadn’t seen in a long time since she had “show business” problems. It was my best hug of the day!!


I like church because it’s a peaceful place to meet people and everyone in there (I assume) has a good heart. I kinda feel bad that the whole “God” concept doesn’t really speak to me, but I think it has to do with the story that comes with it.

When the preacher reminded the crowd that we are all sinners and that God sent his son to die for us in a big gesture of love, I felt really uncomfortable. No actually… it made me smile because I thought “couldn’t we all have discussed this beforehand? There might have been easier and less painful alternatives!”

I used to be a die-hard Hobbes fan (“man is wolf for man”) but the more I go through life, the more I want to believe that we are good people. I’m still puzzled with serial killers and rapists but that’s not the point here…

Anyway, I went to church and it was fine. On our way out I even passed by a homeless with no legs (a legless homeless if you will) and did my good deed. It’s a really harsh world and we gota make it as easy and peaceful as possible.

Yesterday I was still pretty sick but I spent the day with Twyla. We went to Kyobo bookstore to buy a lonely planet guide for Vietnam (yes! We bought the plane tickets so it’s official: 8 days in Nha Trang for lunar New Year!!)


See how nice is the view when you get off the subway? The street is decorated with Christmas lights and you can see Bukhansan (mountain...which I hiked and could've died there!!) Ah, beautiful Seoul!


I ended up with a Vietnamese phrasebook, Paulo Coelho’s book on love and a Brazilian whore, a great Romain Gary book and, of course, Kundera (“L’ignorance”)

On top of that, I bought… “Being zen” and “The little zen companion”. I really want to give this a try. I’m already a pretty relaxed girl but there's definitely room for improving.

After Kyobo we went to Costco, where I bought salmon, cheese, cider (apple cider! Just like back in Quebec wouhou!) and other stuff. Was pretty fun.

We ended the day moving Twyla’s apartment around, buying organic fruits, cooking dinner and watching Adam Sandler’s “Click”. I must say I’m not a big fan… it’s just a modern version of “Family man” ... nonetheless, it reminded me how much I love my friends and family. And how, even though sometimes some moments suck, they still are important parts of your life.

And yes, it’s already Sunday night. I got a lot of stuff to do around the apartment and I’m in a Jazzy mood so I’ll dance it all away ;) Praise the Lord!
Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites