Sunday, November 19, 2006

Autumn in Seoul

I am an idiot. A real idiot.

Autumn in Seoul is beautiful (not as breathtaking as in Quebec but still…) So I went hiking and I brought my camera… without the batteries!


On the bright side, I still have the memories of those gorgeous sceneries I saw today, but you don’t. Sorry.

I did have my cell phone but it takes crappy pictures. Plus it wasn't sunny...kinda foggy.



This morning I overslept and did NOT feel like hiking at all. As a result, I got out of my place around 2pm so it was too late for Bukhansan.

Fortunately, I discovered a very nice and WIDE mountain in Seocho, near Seoul’s bus terminal. It’s called Umyeonsan and you can pretty much hike there forever.

Got myself some Vietnamese fried rice and seafood before the expedition. Up there it was kinda crowded but it didn’t annoy me this time.

It’s wonderful to see all those people getting out of the house and taking part in outdoor activities. No wonder Koreans are so thin. Plus it’s a big family thing – which brings people closer.

As usual, a lot of old people were working out. Like I said in earlier posts, most parks in Seoul have workout equipment that can (and is!) be used by anyone. A lot of people go for a run in the city and they do their workout in a park. It’s really cool.


I found such a spot deep in the forest. I was quite surprised! An ajashi (old man) was doing sit-ups.

A little farther was a temple. The path was filled with gravestones carved with Chinese characters.


Nice hike. I found this weird sculpture on the way back, still not sure what building that was.


I ended up going back to Insadong to get the rest of my Christmas presents and buy a guitar for a friend who wants to learn. I also bought the cutest tiny leather/wool shoes for my co-worker who just had a baby.
The subway wasn't too crowded this time. People were staring at me though - indeed, I had the guitar, a plant I'd just bought, reading Hemingway's "the old man and the sea"... but they probably stared cauz i'm W-H-I-T-E!!!!!

Got home around 9pm and I’m wiped. I wish I were on the other side of the world, 14 hours early. Monday would seem so far away.


Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites